Saturday, February 23, 2013

REMEMBERING PHUKET

I've had the chance to watch the movie "The Impossible" a few weeks ago and suddenly I remembered my visit to Phuket last year. The tragedy caused by the tsunami back in December 26, 2004 was devastating and I cannot imagine how sad it must have been for the victims and their loved ones.

It has been eight years and I didn't see remnants of the unfortunate tragedy during my visit to Phuket. What I saw was a small island that has learned to get up and start all over again. A second chance - we all deserve one.

My over-the-weekend trip to Phuket was indeed very short but it hasn't stopped me from taking a peep at what the little island has to offer. Trips are indeed extra fun when you're with friends. I owe it to my two good friends Obing and Maki.


We enjoyed authentic Thai street food. I was amazed with how cheap it was and my tummy was happy! (burp burp!). The food was really spicy so I was guilty of drinking two cans of coke hahaha!


Another must do in Phuket is getting a massage. It was so cheap so I had a foot massage and body massage all in a day. I loved it! Just what I needed to prep me up for our trip to Phi Phi Island the next day.



On our second day, we went to Phi Phi Island. On board the ferry, I enjoyed the scenery of tiny islands around and the rock formations.



My first ever elephant ride happened in Phuket! Our tour guide drove us uphill to a place called Kalim.


It was a quite an experience riding on an elephant. A bit scary and exciting at the same time.


I didn't enjoy it much though for the sole reason that I felt sorry for the elephant carrying people to and fro like it's some sort of a transportation. I can just imagine how tired the poor giant gets at the end of the day.

The only consolation is a reward of fruits from the tourists at the end of the ride.



My elephant's name was Dao. Well thanks Dao for the experience.



I remember never losing grip of my seat the whole time especially when we're taking a trek uphill. It was a bit scary.


I just hope these elephants get to have a well deserved rest.

Thanks Phuket for the wonderful experience. I shall return :)

No comments:

Post a Comment